Gonna have to agree with Glossier on this one- “Skincare first, beauty second.”
Perfecting your skincare routine can take years. But that’s only if you want it to. Here’s my secret: be consistent and keep it simple. Although I have always been lucky with my skin *knock on wood*, I’ve definitely struggled with discoloration, breakouts, and everything inbetween. I now present to you, your skincare bible.
Tip One: You Are What You Eat
I hate to say it, but how your skin looks really comes down to what you’re putting in your body. If you are eating trash, would your skin reflect a glowy, happy inside? (Spoiler alert: it won’t). From ages 13 to 17, I had my fair share of zits. Ugly, red, “no, I don’t have a third eye”… “or a volcano on my face”, zits. Yeah… gross.
This all stopped when I went vegan. This isn’t a “going vegan changed my life” claim, but I can confidently say that cutting dairy out of my diet completely transformed my skin. If I’ve gotten a breakout since then, it was due to stress or hormones (don’t beat yourself up over these- it’s natural!)
Moral of this story is if your skin is acting out in a way that you can’t seem to handle, it might be worth testing out changing up your diet. Nothing radical, but don’t be afraid to step back and look at the science behind certain foods and your skin. It could make a huge difference!!
Tip Two: Cut Out Products That Aren’t Working
I’ve had my fair share of sad goodbyes with products that I thought I loved, yet they had a clear correlation with poor skin. Most of these were tanning products and although I looked darker and glowy for a day or two after I used them, when that washed away I was left with clogged pores and blackheads.
Don’t just keep using a product because of short term “benefits” or because it was pricey. It’s not worth it since down the line you’ll have to spend more money on products to reverse the problems it caused.
Say your good riddance- its just like cutting out a toxic friend, really. Just without the drama. In the words of NSYNC,
Tip Three: Keep Skincare Simple
Humans weren’t and aren’t designed to need thirty products to keep their skin healthy. Shocker, really- I know.
I’m majoring in advertising and I’ll let you in on a little secret: you’re essentially brainwashed by companies into thinking you need their products, and most of the time, you don’t.
I’m not insisting you don’t try out different products, but I will tell you this- I’ve gotten by best results from the simplest products. I used to use Johnsons & Johnson’s baby wash as a face wash, and now I’m a huge fan of the Everyone’s Face Wash.
It’s cheaper, easier to find, and a one-to-two step process instead of a cluttered, expensive routine.
My Skincare Routine, From Start to Finish:
You want my routine, and here it is. Nice and simple:
- Everyone’s Face Wash once or twice a day. If you wash your face once a day, do it at night to wash away that day’s “dirt”!
- CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion is really simple and non-irratating! I use this everytime after I wash my face.
- I’ll use Garnier SkinActive Micellar Cleansing Water if my face wash didn’t take off all of my eye makeup. Used with a cotton pad, it is light and won’t affect your skin.
- If my eyes are puffy (there’s a reason this is in the “everyday” category!) I will use Swisstiva’s Micrite 3D All Use Eye Cream. Although it is on the pricier side, a little bit goes a very long way!
I only really wear face makeup on the weekends, but if I do, this is what I use:
- Glossier Perfecting Skin Tint is a lifesaver. Really light formula but buildable and doesn’t feel like you’re wearing any makeup at all.
- For Bronzer, my go-to is Benefit’s Hoola Bronzer. It’s the right color for me and hasn’t ever made me break out.
- I’m in love with this Becca Highlighter Set and haven’t had any problems with it.
I’ve made my fair share of mistakes with using tanners on my face, but this is my holy grail product:
- ECO TAN FACE TAN WATER!!! This stuff seriously does wonders. Not only is it completely vegan, but it’s anti-aging and anti-acne. It has lasted me so long and I will without question be repurchasing. Love this ish.
Sunday Spa Day:
Sunday’s are a good reset day, especially for your skin. After a weekend at college of not getting enough sleep, going out, and not eating well, my skin is there to show for it. These are my go-to reset products that I use only once or twice a week:
- The Glossier Mega Greens Galaxy Pack is my favorite mask because it doesn’t irritate my skin and provides both detoxification and hydration. The texture is nice and *pro tip* it feels AMAZING after its been sitting in the fridge for a little bit.
- Sephora Sheet Masks are trustworthy, easy, no-mess, and make for great snapchats. Just sayin’.
So What’s it to Ya?
I know this all may seem like a lot, but a few simple changes can make a huge difference when it comes to skincare. Take a step back and re-evaluate your routine. I do this every few months and sometimes it can completely transform the way my skin is acting. Hydrate your body, protect your skin, and don’t be afraid to switch things up! Your clear skin is waiting for you at the door.
Let’s chat! Comment on this post or find me on Instagram and YouTube
Note: this post was not sponsored but includes some affiliate links.
Leave a Reply