I get it- when you are a college student you only want to purchase the bare necessities for your apartment. I lived in an apartment last year and I will again this year- here is what you need.
For all of these items, I would recommend these stores: Ikea, HomeGoods, Target, Dormify (online), Amazon (online, duh), Wayfair (online), World Market, Urban Outfitters (cute but probably more expensive than what you might want), Society 6 (online, BEST place to get art for your apartment).
Ok, first, the basics…
- Pots & pans (medium/large pot, small pot, large skillet, small skillet)
- Baking sheet
- Large chef knife
- “Fruit” knife
- Silicone Spatula
- Wooden spoon
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoons
- Cooking bowl(s)
- Silverware set
- Plate set
- Glasses set
- Wine glasses (21+)
- Dish Towels
My favorite kitchen tools (not necessities but will make your life easier and probably significantly more fun)
- Lemon squeezer– if you have never used one of these, I just changed your life.
- Hand Frother for homemade lattes
- Reusable Shopping Bags- The Sunshine Series sells mesh bags perfect for grocery shopping so you an reduce one-use plastic when buying produce or in bulk.
Furniture (check if your apartment comes furnished. If not, I would get these:)
- Lounge chair
- Side table
- Coffee table
- Dinner table
- Dinner table chairs
Good spots to buy college furniture: Check on FaceBook pages for other college students selling their furniture. This will be cheaper and probably closer. If that fails, look at Ikea, HomeGoods, Target.
- Coasters- my “Off-White” inspired coasters
- Bar cart (21+)
- Coat Rack/ Clothing Rack
- Art- my FAVORITE piece in my apartment is from here
- Mattress- if you need to buy one, I HIGHLY recommend Lull (not sponsored). I had one my sophomore year at college and it was the most comfortable bed I’ve ever slept in.
- Bed frame- maybe not necessary but good to have if you like to do work or read in bed
- 2 sets of sheets
- Duvet/ down comforter
- Pillows- I need to get a new pillow and need recommendations- if you have one you love, please share in the comments!!
- Pillow Case- HIGHLY recommend the Slip pillowcases. They make my hair so soft and really great for your hair/ skin
Have fun with these:
- Throw Blankets
- Wall art– tapestries, framed images (Society6)
- Desk/ shoe/ closet/ makeup organizers (I would wait to get these- live in your space for a week or two to see what you will really need)
- Jewelry Organizers
- Bins for random sh*t- I have one on my bedside table and I love it- perfect for eye masks, oils, books, notepads etc. Keeps my table clear.
You need these, but have fun with decorating the space:
- Shower liner, hooks, shower curtain
- Towels (hand, face and body)
- Bath mat
- Shower organizer or caddy
Probably not crucial but fun nonetheless:
- Toothbrush cup (did I just admit to myself that I got to the age where I think TOOTHBRUSH CUPS are fun??)
- Bathrobe– I have this one and it’s one of my favorite things I own
I’ve gotten so many requests for this so I hope you find this helpful! If you think I’m missing anything or love a certain brand for college apartments, make sure to share them in the comments.